SMO is a centralised power station for professional 12 V DC powered sound equipments. As primary source, SMO uses whether a 110 to 220 V AC power supply or one of two 12 V batteries. Power input is universal, 90-260 V AC, 47-63 Hz. Battery input connectors are set on front panel, for easier handling. Currently, SMO is designed for 12 V lead batteries, 12 AH each. However, DCA workshop can, on request, adapt SMO to different capacities and, very soon, to different battery types.
SMO is provided with 13 V internal power supply, delivering 150 W primary power, dispatched on five outputs:
- Output #1: 13 Volts, 30 Watts (ie 2,3 A) for recorder (Cantar-X, PD-6, PD4, Deva II or IV or V, aso)
- Output #2: 15 Volts, 30 Watts (ie 2 A) for desk mixer (Sonosax SX-S, SX-ST, Cooper CS 106 or CS 108, aso)
- Output #3: 12 Volts, 20 Watts (ie 1,7 A) for radio mikes, receivers or transmitters (Audio LTD, Sennheiser, Zaxcom, Lectrosonics, aso)
- Output #4: max. 2 A, from 11 to 13 Volts depending on battery load, or on AC power connexion of SMO.
- Output #5: several available options, to be specfied during SMO assembly: 12 or 15 V, 15 or 20 W (extra audio equipment); 16.5 V or 24 V, 50 or 75 W (notebook); or else, similar to #4 output, unregulated, 2 A max. (lighting, video, accessories).
These five outputs are set on rear panel, with standard XLR4F connectors. All outputs under 15 V are on pin 1 (-) and pin 4 (+). Optionnal output #5 (over 15 V) is wired between pin 1 (-) and pin 3 (+) to protect equipment unexpectedly plugged.
Outputs 1, 2, 3 and 5 are floating-mass converter outputs, which assures for constant output voltage, whatever battery capacity (charged or discharged), or AC power presence. This also assures for a very small number of interferences, audible or not, between internal powering sources. It also allows powering of reversed tension devices (Nagra type) without any risk of loop effect or short-circuit.
A sturdy low-size remote control allows setting off SMO controls to user direct view.
With remote control, it is possible to:
- turn ON or OFF each of the five outputs. As DC / DC converters are high quiescent current consuming, even with no output, it is important to turn on only necessary outputs in order to optimize system autonomy when powering from battery.
- display each output status via LED indicator switch: light off = "disabled"; green light = "ON and OK"; red light = "ON but faulty", meaning overheating, overload or short-circuit on this output gone into self protection mode (0 V).
- display AC power presence via red "AC On" LED, enabled even when SMO is off.
- display primary power supply (AC power or battery) on LCD.
- and, soon, to display on same LCD remaining battery capacity.
- It is necessary to use large section cables from batteries to SMO and from SMO to equipment.
- One must plug remote control to SMO, before connecting SMO to AC power and switching it on; otherwise, malfunction could occur.
- SMO is not waterproof and must be properly ventilated, for there are neither noisy fans, nor heavy radiators.
DC Audiovisuel SM0, DC Audiovisuel S.M.0., DC Audiovisuel S-M-0, DCAudiovisuel SM0, DCAudiovisuel S.M.0., DCAudiovisuel S-M-0, DCA SM0, DCA S.M.0., DCA S-M-0, SM0, S.M.0., S-M-0